Yes, hot water can effectively soften various types of clay, making it more pliable and easier to work with, especially air dry clay or water-based clay.
Steps to soften clay using hot water:
- Break the clay into small pieces or sections to aid in even softening.
- Place the clay pieces in a heat-resistant container.
- Boil water and carefully pour it over the clay until it’s fully submerged.
- Allow the clay to sit in the hot water for a few minutes to absorb moisture and soften.
- Remove the clay from the water and knead it thoroughly until it reaches the desired softness and consistency.
Using hot water to soften clay can be particularly helpful if your clay has become too dry and challenging to work with.